Assistant Director and Accompanist
Douglas Mews was born in Cheam, Surrey in 1956. He began playing the organ at St Patrick’s Cathedral in Auckland, where his father (and first organ teacher) was choir conductor. He studied organ and harpsichord with the late Anthony Jennings at Auckland University, followed by harpsichord studies with Bob van Asperen at the Royal Conservatory in the Hague.
He is now a freelance musician, teaching at the New Zealand School of Music in Wellington and directing the music at St Teresa’s Catholic Church. In 2010 he recorded a CD on the Wellington Town Hall 1906 Norman and Beard organ for Priory Records’ ‘Great Australasian Organs’. His most recent CD (released in 2012) is ‘The Lost Chord’, also recorded at the Wellington Town Hall.